What’s Up With Programming?!
Programming for this upcoming month is a strength cycle. There is no substitute for raw power. But being strong is just one piece of the puzzle. We also need to be able to use it — in our lifting, yes… but also in metcons, gymnastics, and positioning. We need strength everywhere. Develop raw strength and put it to work. Building the strength to make us dangerous, and the durability to help us wield it. One the sword, the other the shield. The best warriors have both. We’re going to increase our raw power by hammering the slow lifts–squat, deadlift, and press. We’ll increase our ability to use it through proper positioning and mobility. Moving better will lead to new PRs. And the combination of strength and durability will leave us less injury prone, so that we can train harder throughout the year.
For this month in particular, you’ll notice that we are introducing “Squat waves.” This part of our current cycle is similar to the stamina squats from last spring/early summer. Any lift has a relationship between weight and speed (i.e. as load increases, speed decreases). The wave squat program is training us to increase our speed as our load increases. As we move through, move with purpose between the squat sets. We have a programmed rest period of 3 mins between each grouping (i.e. 6-4-2). During this programmatic cycle, we will perform 6 total weeks of squatting, 4 weeks of 6-4-2, a deload week, 2 weeks of 4-3-2, deload again, and then test our 5RM back squats. Make sure you’re recording your workouts, as you’ll be able to track your 5RM improvement over this 8 week cycle of squatting.
Olympic Lifting Update
We just finished up our latest cycle with find some heavy complexes and some great success! There was awesome progress with those who put in the effort on Saturday mornings or who came in to do the programming their own in open gym times! I love seeing our folks take interest in improving themselves on the regular with specialty offerings like Oly!
There will be no Olympic Lifting programming or 7:30 am Saturday classes for the month of December. We will resume with a new cycle on Saturday Jan 4th.
Member of the Month
Our Member of the Month for December is Heidi K! Heidi has only been a member with us for a little over a year now, and has really stepped up her game lately! You can usually find Heidi at 5:45am with a smile on her face – despite the early time! She has recently been participating in our gymnastics seminars with Coach Blas and pushing herself to her limits with strength. It has been exciting to see her exceed her goals! We’re proud to have Heidi as part of our community – so click the picture and check out the video!
Long Sleeve Pre-Orders
Pre-Orders are in! For those of you that ordered you will be charged through PushPress and can pick them up with Coach Dana!
Ownership Update – Coach Holly
Dear CFCE Community,
Mike and I are very excited to welcome baby boy #3 to our family this spring. Yes, another boy, of course
However, with the 3rd child on the way we think it is best for our family to move closer to both of our families in the north suburbs. With this move and being farther away, I know I won’t be able to give CE the time and attention I want and that you all deserve. So I have decided to sell my half of CE to Neil which will be finalized by the end of the year. This was not an easy decision to make. CE is a big part of who I am and what I love. I know the decision is best for my family in the long run but for me personally, I am so sad to be leaving.
When Neil and I started CE over 6yrs ago, I dreamed of building a community of people who strived to be their best selves, were kind to each other and inclusive to everyone from all life and fitness backgrounds. I could not be more proud of the CE community and how it has more than surpassed what I dreamt of in the early days.
I truly love coaching all of you. No matter what is going on in my life-sleepless nights with the babies, different family/ life challenges, when I am coaching at CE, I am happy.
– I am happy to see your confidence grow as you realize you are capable of more than you thought you were.
– I am happy when you make new friends in class. Friends you didn’t know you needed but now can’t imagine life without.
– I am happy when you reach the goals you set for yourself and surpass them.
– I am happy when I see the stress of your day wear off as you sweat it out.
– I am happy when I get to talk to you about what’s going on in your life during class.
– I am happy when I see you exhausted after a WOD and proud of what you have accomplished.
– I am happy when I get to blast ‘Club Holly’ during WODs and when I see some fist pumps
– I am happy when I see you encourage and support each other.
– I am happy when I see you hit a PR or master a new skill you’ve been working on and see your confidence and belief in yourself grow.
I will miss coaching every one of you more than you know. I will definitely still be around and part of the community, just in a different capacity. Thank you to each one of you for making CE the welcoming and wonderful place it is. Thank you to Neil for being my business partner these last 6+ years. Thank you to Dana for everything you do for CE. Your addition to our team has made all the difference. To Jose, Jonathan, Blas and Anthony, thank you for committing yourself to being the best coaches you can be for our community.
My last classes I am coaching are listed below. I hope to see you at one of them!
Tuesday 12/3-430pm CrossFit & 5:30pm Burn
Wednesday 12/4 – 545 & 6:45 CrossFit
Tuesday 12/10 – 430pm CrossFit & 5:30pm Burn
Wednesday 12/11- 545 & 6:45 CrossFit
Tuesday 12/17- 430pm CrossFit & 5:30pm Burn
With Strength and Love,
Hope to see you at the holiday party at Standard 12/7 at 8pm!
This year’s Holiday Party will take place on Saturday December 7th at 8pm! We have the upstairs at Standard Bar and Grill (1332 N Milwaukee Ave) reserved. This party is always a good time and a great way to hang out before every starts traveling for the Holidays later in the month. We hope to see as many of you there as possible!
- 12 Days of Giveaways!
- We’re bringing it back this year! Over 12 days (starting Thurs Dec 5th – and not including weekends) we will be releasing a video on IG/FB with a coach talking about one of our fitness related products. You will then have a chance to win that product! How you ask?! All you need to do is – that day- make sure you check into CrossFit CE on Facebook or tag us in your video/picture on Instagram.We will then randomly choose a winner each day. We’ve got some cool products for you this year again so be sure to check out the videos everyday!
- ** If you check in on FB or IG EVERYDAY this contest runs you’ll be entered to win even more awesomeness on the last day!!
- Food for Burpees
- Another fun piece from last year! We will be bringing back our Food Drive. In front of the counter each coach will have their own large bin. You are then encouraged to bring in non-perishable food items and put them in the bin of the coach of your choice. However many items are in their bin at the end of the month that coach has to do that many burpees! 1 can = 1 burpee! Choose wisely!
- Need ideas for items for the food drive…..
- NPR did a piece on the types of pantry staples that can help those who rely on food banks to build healthy meals. Food banks say the focus should be on “on whole, unprocessed or minimally processed foods” to help people create healthy meals. Instead of donating foods that are high in salt, sugar and highly processed grains, bring foods that are high in protein, healthy fats and whole grains instead.The best non-perishable foods to donate
- canned beans
- dry beans
- peanut butter, or other nut butters
- rolled oats
- canned fruit in juice, not in light or heavy syrup
- canned vegetables, with no or low-sodium
- low-sodium soups
- canned tuna in water
- canned chicken
- brown rice
- nuts, unsalted
- seeds, unsalted
- shelf stable milk and milk substitutes
- whole grain pasta
- low-sodium pasta sauce
- popcorn kernels (not microwave popcorn)
- canned stews
- unsweetened apple sauce
- whole grain, low-sugar cold cereals
- olive or canola oil
- canned tomatoes
- dried fruits, no sugar added
- chicken, beef and vegetable broths and stock
- Additional tips:
- Canned goods with pop-top lids are better than canned goods that require a can opener
- Avoid foods packaged in glass.
- Do not donate foods that are past the expiration date.
- Ramen Noodles will not be accepted.
- Tuesday Dec 24th – CLOSED
- Wednesday Dec 25th – CLOSED
- Thursday Dec 26th – 9am ONLY
- Tuesday Dec 31st – 6:45am, 12pm, and 4:30pm ONLY
- Wednesday Jan 1st – CLOSED
Save the Dates
- Holiday Party – Saturday Dec 7th 8pm Standard Bar and Grill
- Sat Dec14th and Sun Dec15th – Gym is closed for Level 1 Seminar
- WOD and Wine – Friday Jan 24th 6:30pm
- WOD and Whiskey – Friday Jan 31st 6:30pm
- In House Competition – TBD Beginning of March
*** If you’re interested in safer beauty products check out the link and reach out to Holly with any questions!
Beauty Counter – Holly Cornille